The Oversight Board is a special independent monitoring body which was established on 1 January 2014. The Oversight Board is composed of five members who are appointed by the Minister of Justice following consultation with the Minister of Defence. The chairman, who must be a High Court judge, is appointed on the recommendation of the Presidents of the Danish Eastern and Western High Courts, while the remaining four members are appointed following consultation with the Parliamentary Committee for the Intelligence Services.
The members are:
- Ulla Staal, High Court Judge, High Court of Eastern Denmark (chairman)
- Pernille Backhausen, Partner, Sirius Law Firm
- Professor Jørgen Grønnegård Christensen, Aarhus University
- Adam Wolf, Managing Director, Danish Regions
- Erik Jacobsen, Chairman of the board of directors, Roskilde University
In order to ensure continuity on the Oversight Board, Ulla Staal, Pernille Backhausen and Adam Wolf have been appointed for a term of four years each, while Jørgen Grønnegaard Christensen and Erik Jacobsen have been appointed for a term of two years each. All members are eligible for reappointment for an additional term of four years.
The Oversight Board is supported by a secretariat which is subject solely to the instructions of the Oversight Board in the performance of its duties. The Oversight Board recruits its own secretariat staff and also decides which educational and other qualifications the relevant candidates must have.